Stuffed Poblanos

A stuffed pepper? 



I've never eaten a stuffed pepper in my life... so why I had the urge to make them the other day, I honestly couldn't tell you. However, I couldn't be happier with the choice :)

I started by making some brown rice. I didn't add as much water as I usually do (just a few tablespoons short) figuring it might be a little too mushy for a filling. I'm not sure if it really would've made a difference, but I was very happy with the way the rice came out.

Then I prepped the peppers by making a slice down the side and removing the seeds. I popped them in the oven for about 20 minutes to soften and started on the filling while they cooked.



For the filling I cooked the onions for almost 10 minutes so that they became soft. Added in the garlic and simmered for just about a minute more before adding the beans, water, and spices. Then I mixed in the rice and before stuffing I decided to add a little more than I had originally planned and tossed in some corn too... it just sounded good :)




Then I stuffed them, grated a little cheese over top, and then broiled it on a low broil for about 7 minutes.


And ooooh was it so good! For my first stuffed pepper (made and eaten), I was pleasantly surprised!!



Lime Rice:


3/4       Cup           Brown Rice
1          Cup           Water
1/4       Cup            Lime Juice
1          Tbl             Butter
1/4        tsp             Salt

Combine and cook rice as normal.

Stuffed Peppers:


2          Large         Poblano Peppers
1/2       Medium     White Onion (diced)
1          tsp               Minced Garlic (approx 2 cloves)
1          Can            Black Beans (15 oz - drained and rinsed)
1/4       Cup            Water
1          tsp               Cumin
1          tsp               Chili Powder (or more depending on desired spice level)
1          tsp               Paprika
2          tsp               Cilantro
1/2       tsp               salt
3/4       Cup             Corn

Seed peppers and toss in oven at 350 degrees to cook until soft, about 20 minutes.

Over medium heat simmer the onions for about 10 minutes so that they became soft.

Add in the garlic and simmered for just about a minute more before adding the beans, water, and spices. Allow to simmer for at least 10 minutes.

Mix together your rice, bean mixture, and corn. Then stuff peppers as full as possible.

If you want you can sprinkle some cheese over the top, but that is completely optional.

Place in oven on a low broil until warmed through, 5 - 10 minutes.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bridal Hanger

A Quinoa Experiment

Crock-Pot Salmon?