Crock-Pot Salmon?

I don't know about you, but I love my crock-pot! The ease of tossing things together, walking away, and coming back to some yummy food is wonderful! I honestly have yet to make something that hasn't come out good from the crock-pot! It's not always as pretty, but is sure is tasty!

I was recently looking through a blog where a gal used her crock-pot every day for a whole year! I found lots of yummy ideas on her site, but the one that I just couldn't wait to try was salmon. Fish - from the crock-pot? This was unheard of for me... would it really taste good? Would it dry out? It was certainly worth a shot! She had done Salmon 5 different ways - with green beans in January, sweet and spicy in March, lemon and dill in May, Jamaican in July, and cedar planked in December.

I must admit, I still want to try the cedar plank as that sounds interesting to me. However, my inspiration for this one came from the sweet and spicy and the Jamaican one. They were both wrapped in foil. I did my own flavoring and tried rice in the crock-pot too... I won't lie, I was nervous, but it came out good!

What I ended up with, I will call an Asian Inspired Salmon with Brown Rice. I tried to get a little fancy with the plating and shaped the rice the same shape as the plate, but it probably would have looked nicer round... better yet - just added to the plate :) regardless though - it tasted good, and really - that's the important part right?

Anyways, here's my recipe for my Asian Inspired Salmon with Brown Rice.






Ingredients:



1 Cup          Brown Rice
2 Cup          Water
1 Tbl.          Butter
1/2  tsp            Salt
2 Tbl.          Rice Wine
1 tsp            White Vinegar
1     Tbl.          Honey
2     tsp            Minced Garlic
1 Pinch       Red Pepper Flakes
1 tsp            Fish Sauce
2     tsp            Soy Sauce
1 tsp            Lemon Juice
1/8  tsp            Fresh Ginger (grated)
1/2  tsp            Brown Sugar

Sit your salmon in the center of a piece of foil and fold corners up like a bowl. Sit in the center of your crock-pot. (I'm not sure if to the side would matter, I just didn't want it touching the sides just in case).

Place rice, water, butter and salt in the crock-pot.

Mix the remaining, except the brown sugar, ingredients in a small bowl and pour over salmon. Sprinkle brown sugar over the top of the salmon and close your foil pack to seal the salmon and marinade together.

(I don't really think the brown sugar needs to be added separate, but that's how I did it here, so that's how I'm explaining it) :)




Turn crock-pot on low and cook for 2 - 3 hours. It doesn't take long. The fish is done when it flakes and the rice surprisingly cooked at the same pace... phew! You may want to check the salmon at 2 hours to see if it flakes and then in 30 minute increments. Every crock-pot cooks a little different and you don't want to end up with dry fish. My fish and rice were perfect after 2.5 hours.

Plate and enjoy :)



I added a little bit of the sauce over my rice for some added flavor too.


As a side note - I made this just for me and did end up with extra rice since I made a full cup, however you could easily wrap a larger or additional serving of salmon in the foil too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bridal Hanger

A Yummy Experiment

Refreshing Summer Sorbet