Tomato Soup Anyone?

I've never been a fan of tomatoes - granted I've always been a picky eater. I've been working on trying new things and have noticed my taste buds have certainly changed over the years. I've always liked pizza and ketchup... but I've never been a fan of spaghetti sauce, tomato soup, or tomatoes.

I've still not branched to the spaghetti sauce or tomatoes, but recently I got brave enough to try tomato soup. So many pictures out there looked yummy so it was worth a shot :) But just in case, I added tortellini to it too so that if I hated the soup, I'd be able to fish them out and still have something ready to eat and I wouldn't have to cook a whole new meal.

I don't know that the flavors are typical of tomato soup or not, but what I got was yummy. My husband, who likes tomatoes, has never liked tomato soup - and he liked it too... so I think it's safe to say it's not the normal tomato soup, but it's still tomatoes and it's yummy... which really is the goal right?

So here's my version of tomato tortellini soup:




4          Tbl.           Butter
1/2       Medium    White Onion (chopped)
1 1/2    Tbl.           Minced Garlic
1          Tbl.           Dried Basil
3          Cup           Chicken Stock
2          Can           Italian Stewed Tomatoes (14.5 oz ea)
3          Tbl.           Heavy Cream
1         Bag           Tri-Colored Cheese Tortellini (20 oz)

In a medium stockpot, saute chopped onion and garlic in butter over medium high heat until tender. Stir in basil and allow to saute for 30 seconds to a minute.



Add in chicken stock and stewed tomatoes with juice and bring to a slow boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes.



Use an immersion blender to puree the tomatoes and onions together until smooth.



Pour in tortellini and cook for 3 - 5 minutes or until tortellini is cooked through.



Stir in heavy cream and enjoy!


And if you want - you can drizzle a little more cream on top. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bridal Hanger

A Quinoa Experiment

Crock-Pot Salmon?