Custom Canvas Fun

In trying to figure out what to share - this week really isn't super different from last week... but it's a different method... again super simple (and who doesn't love that?!) and worth the share in my book. I promise I will branch out soon to share new things - but for now... I stick with canvas, only this time it's not painting per se... it's "painting" by printing (a bit of a stretch I know -- but you get where I'm going) :)

So I decided to try those homemade canvas prints that are ALL over Pinterest... that said, I had read a few a while ago,  but you would've thought I'd go look again before trying... that would've been the smart thing... that's not what I did. I had things in my head from what I read and I just went with it.

The good news is it was simple and even with the wrong type of print on my first attempt - it still kind of worked (admittedly not as well though).

Below are my first two attempts - in order... you can tell my first was not quite right...


The second I was very happy with... so what's the difference? One little thing - the print. The first I made the mistake of printing on photo paper - the second was on normal/plain printer paper. It transferred better and was easier to remove the paper part.

The process is simple - start with a canvas and a print (on normal paper) wither the same size of the canvas or slightly larger if you want it to carry over on the sides... then get your Mod Podge and a paint brush... in 24 hrs you'll need water and a sponge.

Cover the parts of the canvas you're moving the print to in an even layer of Mod Podge.  Then carefully lay your print on it and smooth out any air bubbles. Gently press it down into the canvas to be sure that every part of it is touching the covered canvas - if it's not, those parts won't transfer.

Now the hard part - let it dry... safest to wait 24 hrs but depending it may be dry earlier.

Once dry get out a bowl of water and a sponge and gently get the paper wet and then start moving in slow, light circles to get the paper to rub off. Don't push too hard - you'll remove the color too if you don't take your time.

I was so excited once I finally got it right - I had to try it more. A bigger version :)


This time it's not one print... but 4 prints - the tricky part here, lining it up correctly! Sadly I admit this took me more than one try. You'd think that it'd be easy to lay 4 sheets of paper evenly next to each other... and maybe for most it is, not for me. Never the less - it was fun and for the most part (minus my impatience and failed attempts) pretty easy!

You can still see where it's off in the center, but it makes for a very nice piece still! It's a great way to create custom art for your home or even as a gift. Homemade, thoughtful, customized, and very nice - just use a sealant to protect it and it makes a wonderful gift!

I will have to try it with different pics and on different materials -- just because I like it! It's one of the things I've found on Pinterest that I really like! My dad even did something similar on wood to make a custom cribbage board... how cool is that?!? What will you make?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bridal Hanger

A Quinoa Experiment

Crock-Pot Salmon?