Tilapia Tacos

I wish I could explain where the thought for these tilapia tacos came from... but other than having extra cabbage I have no good excuse :)

I love cabbage - thing is I buy it with one recipe in mind and then I have to come up with different ways to use it :)

So with cabbage in mind and a peach that was starting to near the too ripe point, my version tilapia tacos with peach salsa was born. And wow - was I happy! To explain how much I enjoyed these - I've now had them two days in a row and I'm contemplating having them for dinner tonight :) Gotta finish off that peach salsa after all...

Now I will admit, the peach salsa doesn't look the prettiest - but I made it in my mini food processor to avoid chopping everything by hand. But that aside - for my first attempt at peach salsa... I gotta say I like it! I made it spicy as the hubby generally isn't a big fan of fruity flavors for dinner - but it sounded good with tilapia... after the fact I even googled it, not a super rare combo :)

So here's my take on Tilapia Tacos with Peach Salsa



Tilapia:
3        filets            Tilapia
1        Tbl              Orange Olive Oil
2         tsp              Minced Garlic
1        Tbl              Lemon Juice
1/2      tsp              Chili Powder (more if you want a stronger kick, but the salsa has a little kick too)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Peach Salsa:
1                           Peach (sliced)
3/4      Tbl             Orange Olive Oil
1/2      tsp              Onion Powder
1/2      tsp              Fresh Grated Ginger
1         Tbl             Pickled Jalapenos (I included maybe a tsp of the juice too)
1         Tbl             Sugar
1         Tbl             Lemon Juice
1         pinch          Sea Salt
1         tsp              Dried Parsley

Remaining Taco Ingredients:
Shredded Red Cabbage -- I didn't measure this, and it really just depends how much you want
10 - 20 Small Corn Tortillas (depends if you like them doubled or as singles)

I started with the salsa to let the flavors meld first. I pulsed the peach slices and jalapeno slices in my mini food processor until chunky. Then I poured the peach mixture into a small bowl and mixed in the rest of the ingredients and let it sit for 30 minutes. 

*The red spots are jalapenos I had let ripen a bit 
more than usual - I pickle my extras every year


After the salsa was done resting I started cooking the fish. I warmed my oil and lemon juice in the skillet and added the garlic to simmer just a little. Added filets and sprinkled with half my chili powder and a little salt and pepper. After a minute I flipped the filets and did the same to the other side. 

*There are only two pictured here as that's all we had for dinner - 
I made a third when eating the tacos the second time

After another minute I flipped the fish over again and let it cook for 4 minutes, flipped one last time and cooked another 4. This worked to cook mine through. Then I chunked it with my spatula and it flaked into pieces. Stir the chunks a little in the pan to get the flavor everywhere and you're ready to build your tacos. 

Wrap the corn tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave for 30 - 45 seconds. 

Build tacos as desired - and enjoy! 



Personally I think doubled tortillas make it a little less messy, but I've enjoyed them both ways. So far the salsa has been enough for 10 tacos and I still have some left... So the recipe is listed with the amount of ingredients for those 10. That said, it does depend on how much salsa you put on each... as well as the fact these are small tacos.

These are truly delish if you ask me - and when they're so simple, that makes it even better :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bridal Hanger

A Quinoa Experiment

Crock-Pot Salmon?