Craving Pancakes

I don't know why - but I've been craving pancakes a lot lately. So this weekend I finally set to taking the time to take care of that craving :)

Now I don't generally think healthy when I think pancakes - but I didn't want something too bad for me. So I figured - wheat pancakes.

I mixed together some wheat flour, coconut flour, ground flax seed, and baking powder and I had the base for my pancakes ready.



To finish the batter I mixed together some milk, salt, and maple syrup. Maple just sounded good and out of my usual sweeteners it is surprisingly the lowest in sugar content. Then I tossed in some blueberries and decided to make a blueberry syrup to go with them :)





And just because it sounded good I added coconut flakes to top it all off..... Mmmmm YUM!


In case anyone else finds this interesting -- here's the sugar / calorie break out for the 3 options I looked at for my syrup...

  • clover honey: 1 Tbl = 16g sugar and 60 cals
  • blue agave: 1 Tbl=16g sugar and 60 cals
  • pure maple: 1 Tbl = 11.75g sugar and 52.5 cals


Here's the recipe for Blueberry Coconut Wheat Pancakes 

Pancakes:
1           Cup           Whole Wheat Flour
1/4        Cup           Coconut Flour
2           Tbl            Ground Flax Seed
2           tsp             Baking Powder
1/4        tsp             Sea Salt
1           large          Egg
1 1/4     Cup           Milk
1           Tbl            Maple Syrup
1/2        Cup           Frozen Blueberries

Blueberry Syrup:
3/4        Cup           Frozen Blueberries
1/4        Cup           Maple Syrup

Flaked Coconut as garnish

In a small sauce pan combing the syrup ingredients and allow to come to a boil, reduce and allow to continue to simmer. Stirring occasionally. Let this simmer while you make the pancakes.

For the pancakes, first mix together all dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In a small mixing bowl, mix all wet ingredients and then slowly mix them into the dry ingredients until combined. Then mix in frozen blueberries - be prepared... this will turn your batter purple :)

Spray skillet with non-stick spray and heat over medium. Pour about a 1/4 cup of batter onto pan and cook until bubbly, turn and continue cooking until golden brown.

Once done, top with blueberry syrup and flaked coconut (if desired), and enjoy!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bridal Hanger

A Quinoa Experiment

Crock-Pot Salmon?