Lime in the Coconut

Lime & Coconut... Mmmmmmm!


So a few weeks ago I made this lemon blueberry bread. I found the recipe on pinterest, but did tweak it some based on the ingredients I had and the flavor profile I was going for. Original recipe can be found here. It came out great and it's had other flavor combos on my mind ever since.

This weekend I finally got the bug to bake again, and I really wanted to use my little mini bunt pan. So I changed the recipe to a lime and coconut flavor and used my bunt pan.


Really I should've used cup cakes or put less in each mini bunt and used the pan twice because they were over flowing after they rose. This was my fault cause I knew I was pushing it with how much I was putting in each. I was anxious and didn't want them to be too small or to have to cook two batches though so I pushed it and put in too much... But I really wanted to use that pan and they still came out super yummy anyway.



If you like lime and coconut - give this a try. You can make it in mini bunts - cooking time 20 minutes, into cupcakes which I would believe to be similar cooking time as the bunts, but maybe a few extra minutes (this is the only size I haven't baked this in), or in a 8" x 8" pan - cooking time 40 minutes. Other than cooking times, everything will be the same. You nose will tell you when they're done baking and you can insert a toothpick into the center to test - if it comes out clean, it's ready.


If you're going to give this a try - here's what I did...

1 1/2  Cup Flour
2        tsp         Baking Powder
1/2     tsp         Salt
1        Cup Vanilla Greek Yogurt
1        Cup Sugar
3        Large Eggs
2        Small Limes
1/2     tsp         Vanilla Extract
1/2     Cup Coconut Oil (melted)
1/2     Cup Coconut Flakes
1/4     Cup Sugar
1/4     Cup       Lime Juice
5        Tbl. Powdered Sugar


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease your mini bunt pan.

In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Mix in coconut flakes and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, cup sugar, eggs, lime zest from both limes, vanilla and coconut oil. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

While cake is cooling, make the lime syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir together the juice from both limes (comes to approx 1/4 cup lime juice) and remaining sugar until the sugar is completely dissolved. Once dissolved, allow to simmer for a few minutes. Remove from the heat.

Use a toothpick to poke holes in the top of the warm cakes. Brush the tops of each with the syrup. Let the syrup soak into the cake and brush again. You will have a little extra syrup left, don't worry about this - you use the rest to make the glaze.

Let the cakes cool completely.

To make the glaze, whisk the confectioners’ sugar into the remaining lime syrup. The mixture should be thick but still pourable. If too thin, add one tablespoon of powdered sugar at a time until the desired thickness is achieved. The amount needed will depend on the amount of juice you get out of the limes and how much syrup you put on the cakes. Pour the glaze over the top of the cake and sprinkle with extra coconut flakes if desired. Let the glaze harden, about 15 minutes, before serving.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bridal Hanger

A Quinoa Experiment

Crock-Pot Salmon?