Simple Soup with a Twist

At first I wasn't hungry - then I was super hungry. I wanted dinner, but I also didn't want to be sitting there cooking, I wanted food. While staring in my fridge for inspiration, I noticed some tofu that I had purchased last week. I got it wanting to try it - I've never had it. I got it so I'd branch out and try something new, but it's just been sitting there. So when I wanted food now, I figured it might help add some substance to something quick.

And what could be quicker than soup? Ok, yes it's getting warmer - but not too warm yet. Plus soup is always good and quick. So with tofu on the brain and the desire for something super quick - hot and sour soup came to mind.

I have made it before. It's really simple and quick. Ok, my version is just a spicy egg drop soup because I didn't want everything that is usually in hot and sour. I think it usually has mushrooms which is my main issue... If I remember right, some have meat, I'm pretty sure I've even seen some veggies in it before - and I think, in some, tofu too... many of the ingredients aside, I love the broth of hot and sour soup, and I love egg drop soup - which is how my version came to be. And since I am pretty sure I've seen tofu in it before, it seemed like a good thing to try tofu in. After all, I knew what the soup was like without it... and I wanted to try tofu. So I jumped in with half the package of tofu (gotta find something else for the other half now).

With my desire to eat quickly I got out the pot, chicken stock, soy, red pepper flakes, tofu, and all the extra goodies and tossed them together. I even added a little sesame oil as I've seen oils used as a topper to some soups to give it a silky finish... all in all - I think it came out pretty darn good!

I'm not sure if there is a particular way tofu is supposed to be cooked. Honestly I didn't take the time to look it up to figure it out (yes, I know google is a wonderful thing and it wouldn't have taken long - no excuse, but I was just hungry)... so if I did something wrong (if that's possible with tofu), please let me know.

Oh and another thing affected by hunger getting the best of me... I only have a picture of the final product. Granted - since it's pretty much a toss in pot thing, with the exception of the color change from adding the cornstarch - it pretty much looks the same :)



Hot & Sour Soup with Tofu

32 Ounce Low Sodium Chicken Broth
2 Tbl. Soy Sauce (low sodium if you have it - otherwise it's a bit high in salt)
1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
3 Tbl. White Vinegar
1 Tbl. Water
2 Tbl. Cornstarch
1 Large Egg (beaten)
1/2 Tbl. Dried Ginger
3 Scallions (sliced)
2 Cup Water
7 Ounce Extra Firm Tofu (half a 14 oz package)
1 Tbl. Sesame Oil (optional)

Drain tofu and cut into small cubes.

In a large pot combine the tofu, chicken broth, soy, red pepper flakes, and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce and let simmer for 5 minutes.

In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar and 1 tbl water with the ginger and cornstarch. Add to the simmering mixture and stir until slightly thickened, ~2 min.

Remove from heat and stir in a circular motion for about 30 seconds so that soup will continue to circle when you stop. Add the egg, through a slotted spoon while soup is still circling the pan to form ribbons.

Stir in scallions and oil, put back on heat, and allow to simmer for 2 more minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bridal Hanger

A Quinoa Experiment

Crock-Pot Salmon?