Oreo Game Day Truffles

So I had heard about these yummy little things years ago. My hair dresser mentioned them and I made them first thing. They were dipped in almond bark and super yummy! I had always just rolled them into balls and dipped them, but when we were asked to bring game day treats... and I was trying to think of something a little different than the usual - I thought why not reshape them into little footballs and dunk them into chocolate instead. Draw little white laces and make them into extra rich, yummy footballs truffles? Plus, it was an excuse for me to use the food processor again :)

These really could be made into any shape you can and decorated however you want. But since I did little footballs, that's what I'll tell you about... and then you can take it from there and let your imagination run with it :)

These are super easy - essentially 3 ingredients, but by adding the laces I made them 4. And these 3... ok 4... ingredient little wonders will be a huge hit!

Oreo Game Day Truffles:





1 package (15.5 oz) Regular Oreos
1 package (8 oz) Cream Cheese
2.5 - 3 cups Chocolate Chips (sorry, I didn't measure them)
1 - 2 tablespoons White Chocolate Chips or some cake icing (if you have some extra sitting around like I did)

In a food processor, grind Oreos until they're a fine powder. The cream part will mix right in, don't worry about it. 

<sorry - forgot this photo>

Next add the cream cheese. I broke it into pieces, but really in the food processor, I'm not so sure it really matters.



Mix in the cream cheese until your 'dough' forms.


*side note - you can make these without a food processor, it's just a little more work. The cookies will most likely be more chunky than powdery and then you can mix in the cream cheese with a mixer*

Before you do anything more, get out at least two cookie sheets and line them both with wax paper... Actually I guess I should say - if they will fit in your freezer, get two and line them... if they won't - line a couple plates or something that does fit in your freezer :)

Now you're ready to shape them! Unfortunately I didn't take photos of the shaping process either... I know, sorry, I was slacking. I really need to get my tripod fixed so that I can just have it sitting there and use the remote. Anyway, I digress... back to the treats :)

I took about 2 teaspoons of the dough and rolled them into little balls. Then I pinched the sides and then  slightly pushed down on the top and the bottom to make them flat. I think they looked like little eyes or if you put a slight dent in the top one, they would've looked like a pair of lips. But once you dip and especially when you add the laces, it looks like a football :) Trust me. 

My husband probably regretted asking if I wanted any help, but bless his heart he stood there and helped shape little footballs with me. He did it differently, so it's really just whatever works for you :) Our main goal was trying to keep them similar in size and football shaped the best we could. 



Once they're all shaped, toss them into the freezer and start melting your chocolate. I don't have an actual double boiler, so I put a small saucepan into a bigger saucepan. In the bigger one, I filled it approximately half way with water. Place your chocolate chips in the small sauce pan, and slowly melt them over low stirring occasionally and being sure not to get any water in the smaller pan. 


Once your chocolate is melted, you can take some of your footballs out of the freezer. I recommend dipping about 10 - 15 at a time... too many more and they start defrosting too much before they make it into the chocolate making it difficult to keep shaped and get out of the chocolate. 

I dipped mine by sticking one on a toothpick and dunking it into my melted chocolate. I used my spatula to push the chocolate up the sides and get some over the top. Then I moved it around some on the toothpick to try to get it smooth on the sides and even. When I lifted it out of the chocolate I would use a second toothpick to brush off most of the extra chocolate on the bottom so there was only a thin layer and not a lot. Then I would place it on a sheet of wax paper and use the second toothpick to help get the first one out. When you get the first toothpick out you'll have a small hole from where it was, simply run the toothpick at an angle across the top - you'll smooth out the chocolate and cover the hole all at once :)

<sorry - no photos after just covered in chocolate or of the dipping process either>

Once all dunked, you'll be ready to draw on your laces. If you do like I did - just put some icing in a sandwich bag and cut a small piece of the corner off to use it as a piping bag.... if you don't have any icing and are using the white chocolate. Put the white chocolate chips in a sandwich bag and put it in the microwave. Warm in 15 second intervals until completely melted. Taking it out of the microwave and mixing by pinching/moving the chocolates in the bag with your fingers after every 15 second interval. Once completely melted, cut a small piece of the corner off and you have your piping bag :)

Test the size of the hole by drawing a line on part of the wax paper or on a paper towel. If it's too small, make it a little bigger... if it's too big, cut the other corner a little less and then move your filling to that side :)

Next draw your laces - one line down the center and three to four vertical lines. 


At this point you're pretty much done, but your footballs are still way to wet to remove from the wax paper. You can either put them in the freezer for a few minutes or refrigerate them for at least an hour so the chocolate sets up enough.


Now you can remove them from the wax paper and place them on a plate or serving tray... and enjoy! 

These can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer and when you're ready to serve them, take them out of the freezer and within a few minutes they're ready to enjoy :) If you plan on them vanishing super quick, you can also just keep them in the refrigerator until you serve them. 


YUMMY :)



I thought they came out adorable... and surprisingly I was even asked if I bought them :) 

The only warning I have about these - they're super decadent! Dipped in almond bark they're not as rich, but unless you add brown food coloring to it - you can't really make it look like footballs... but then again, you don't have to make them into footballs either :) 

You'll be amazed at how easy they are. Everyone will love them! And you'll be the hit of the party! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bridal Hanger

A Quinoa Experiment

Crock-Pot Salmon?