Pork Tacos Anyone?

I love the crock-pot... and so long as I take the time to toss everything in it in the morning or the night before - it's wonderful for simple, yummy, meals... Any meat that comes out of the crock-pot is always incredibly moist and tender  - and depending on what you cook it in, full of flavor! I wanted to something a little different than my normal... and while I like pork, I rarely make it. And since I had done things over rice and as a sandwich lately, I figured - tacos!

I still had the BBQ Beer Chicken recipe in my head as it hadn't been that long and it was really good... so I used it as inspiration for this dish. Added in some different spices and called it good. When it came to eat, I sweetened some of the cooking liquid and tossed some cabbage in it to top the tacos... it was super yummy! I tried them plain, with avocado, and with a little extra BBQ sauce on top - and I must admit, all of them were very good! The only thing I liked more on day two was that the cabbage had soaked in the sweetened cooking liquid... so the one thing I would really recommend is that you take out some of the liquid, sweeten it, and toss your cabbage in it perhaps an hour or two before you plan to eat. Then let the cabbage sit in the fridge until you're ready to eat.

Beer Pork Tacos 



2      lb         Pork Roast
1                  Red Chili Pepper (diced)
1                  Poblano Pepper (roasted and diced)
1      Tbl      Minced Garlic
1      Tbl      Brown Sugar (packed)
1      tsp       Salt
1/2   tsp       Ground Black Pepper
1      tsp       Grated Ginger (fresh)
1/2   Cup     BBQ Sauce
1/4   Cup     Crushed Pineapple
1                  Lime (juiced)
24    oz        Beer
3      Cup     Water (or more if needed to cover roast)


Put all these ingredients in the crock-pot and turn on low. Cook for 8 hours.





Remove roast from crock-pot and shred with two forks.



You can either put the shredded pork directly in your tacos or put it back in your cooking liquid to soak up more flavor (however that does make it a bit messier to eat). I like to put it back in the cooking liquid for a few minutes and then strain it out to try to keep it from being too wet/messy.

I then shredded 1 part red cabbage to 2 parts green cabbage and placed it in a medium bowl. I took 5 tablespoons of the cooking liquid and mixed in 1 tablespoon agave, and then tossed the cabbage in it. This amount of sauce covered enough cabbage for 8 tacos (which for us was about 1/2 the roast). Unfortunately I didn't measure out the cabbage :(


Place pork and cabbage in small flour tortillas and enjoy - you can also add BBQ sauce or avocado if desired... or anything else you want for that matter :) I tried it all three ways and really enjoyed them all! Just pork and cabbage was great, the extra sauce gave it a little extra kick, and the avocado made it new all together.




The left overs then went to pork sandwiches... I added more BBQ and some of the cooking liquid I had the leftovers in in my fridge to make a tangy sauce and heated the pork in it... then added to a bun. I did this two ways - one with cabbage and one with dill pickle slices (as I LOVE BBQ sandwiches with pickles). Again - both YUMMY!!!



This pork was DELISH! And good several ways that having left overs was wonderful :) This is certainly going onto my list to make again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bridal Hanger

A Quinoa Experiment

Crock-Pot Salmon?